[mythtv-users] judder problems with nvidia 358.16

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 04:19:21 UTC 2017

On August 9 you wrote:

>Thank you Mark. From the log entries it just keeps coming back to that
>MythTV is having parsing and matching issues between all the contradictory
>XRandr and NVIDIA data. I have pretty much given up trying to figure out
>what is going wrong there.
>
>Happily, I am able to report that I have gotten the following working in a
>proof of concept patch:
>
>1. Report all the non-integer refresh rates in the MythTV GUI accurately
>for a monitor using only XRandr.
>2. Switch to the exact modeline for that selection when playing a video
>
>I have some follow ups to do on a couple of points (besides cleanup)
before
>I think this is usable:
>
>1. Prevent X from panning the screen around when we do switch to a lower
>resolution
>1. This should be simple, but for some strange reason seems to
>require special steps including disabling the monitor before the attempt
>under some circumstances (possibly NVIDIA related).
>2. Figure out what MythTV is doing (or should do) on the attempts to
>switch to a GUI resolution.
>1. This is reported as an attempt to switch to a refresh rate of 0.
>
>I have also not had a chance to sync up with 0.29 yet.

VDPAU scaling and deiterlace work pretty well. My myth box looks way better
than my Firestick using Kodi, for example. That shows lots of interlace
artifacts no matter what I set.

I would not worry so much about the resolution, but the frame rate is
critical for getting rid of judder. If it stayed at native TV resolution
and scaled everything using VDPAU, I think that would be good enough, as
long as the frame rate matches the source.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Mark