[mythtv-users] Can I tweak a theme?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 01:39:00 UTC 2017

Hoi Stephen,

Wednesday, August 2, 2017, 2:13:00 AM, you wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Aug 2017 07:09:31 -0700, you wrote:

>>I've started using the Mythbuntu theme, but find there is one thing I don't
>>like about it.  When watching recorded shows there is a column on the left
>>to select shows then the larger area on the right that lets you select an
>>episode.  When an episode has the focus the color of the selected show
>>dims, but by a very slight amount, so it's very hard hard to tell which one
>>has the focus.  I'd like to change the dimmed color of the selected show to
>>be 10-20 RGB points lower when the episode frame has the focus.  Is there
>>an easy way to do this?

> Yes.  You make a copy of the theme you want under a different name (I
> add my initials to the name), and then adjust the copy.  In Mythbuntu,
> the builtin themes, such as Mythbuntu, can be found in
> /usr/share/mythtv/themes.  The downloaded themes are found in
> /home/<mythfrontenduser>/.mythtv/themes.  Any new themes you create by
> modifying an existing one should be set up as though they were
> downloaded, so copy /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu to
> /home/<mythfrontenduser>/.mythtv/themes/Mythbuntu-modified and make
> your changes there.  Then in the theme chooser screen, you should see
> the name of your new theme and be able to select it to be used.

> However, doing this means that you are responsible for keeping your
> modified theme up to date - it will not be updated automatically if
> changes are made to the original Mythbuntu theme files.  So if the
> underlying MythTV software gets a change that requires a theme change,
> or the theme you copied is changed for some other reason, you will
> need to make the same changes in your copy.  Theme changes are not
> common, so in practice you only need to remember to check your theme
> when major MythTV version changes happen, or if you see an update
> happen to your theme when you run apt to update the system.

Very insightful, but the opp mainly asked HOW and HOW to change the
way dimming/lighting works if an item is selected!

Not how to go about changing the theme, which is a matter of personal
preference and experience.
I copy the theme, change it there and create a script to overlay the
changed theme on the original.
A matter of personal preference and experience.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop