[mythtv-users] Adding a new frontend to an old mythtv system

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 19:45:08 UTC 2017

Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would just take a clonezilla image (or whatever your imager of choice is) of the currently working frontend and lay it down on the new frontend - changing the hostname, etc before you start up mythtv.

+1
The main problem with that being if you need to use some newer hardware that isn't supported in your old system.

One tip. BEFORE starting up the new cloned frontend, if you want all the settings to be the same as the old one, then duplicate all the host-specific settings in the database. If you forget, then the new frontend will get a set of default settings created.
In my case (I'm still on 0.24.1), I had an exact duplicate PC so it made sense to clone the settings - if the new hardware is significantly different then it may make more sense to start with default settings.