[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi Mythfrontend 1080i Poor Playback with Recent Raspbian OS Image

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 20:42:19 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-22 12:21 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> It seems the hardware deinterlacers are not working with the latest
> version of Raspbian. I tried Line Double (HW) and it is not too bad with
> HD but is terrible with SD. I think that is falling back to the default
> "One Field". Testing with One Field gives the same results. It seems the
> best deinterlacer in this setup  is Kernel or Linear Blend. They both
> work reasonably well. There is an increase in CPU usage but the system
> seems to handle it.
>
> Peter

Thank you Peter for confirming this issue.

Do you know if this issue has been reported to the Raspberry Pi OS folks?

Overall I have found that recording playback is best with an earlier
version of Raspbian, such as 2016-02-09-raspbian-jessie.

I made a note of this in my tutorial [1] for MythTV 0.27 users.

[1] Setting Up an Inexpensive Raspberry Pi 2 as a Cheap Frontend to
MythTV with MythFrontend
http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-mythtv-frontend

It seems that these earlier versions of Raspbian work better with
mythfrontend on a raspberry pi for both MythTV 0.27 and MythTV 0.28.

Curtis