[mythtv-users] [SOLVED-ish] Thinking of moving on from MythTV ... I found the main problem, but still have 292e woes

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Apr 20 12:14:12 UTC 2017

I wrote:

> Yes, you'll need firmware. In effect (as a simplification), the device is a small computer in it's own right, and needs to be loaded with software before it will work. Because the firmware is proprietary, it can't be included with "free" OSs* - so you have to go and get the file yourself.
>
> * Depending on policies etc (particularly on the part of the device vendor), it may or may not be available in a "non free" section of the OS software repository. Typically the user must manually enable use of the non free section if they need stuff from it.

In some cases, the firmware file may need to be ripped out of an installer package downloaded from the vendor's site. Some are really restrictive about things, and only provide a Windows installer - so you have to download that, unpack it, and extract the firmware file contained in it. Once you have that, the driver on your free OS can use it.