[mythtv-users] [SOLVED-ish] Thinking of moving on from MythTV ... I found the main problem, but still have 292e woes

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Apr 20 10:13:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:40:57 +0100, you wrote:

>> The HD tuner in question is a PCTV TripleStick (292e). I've read that it should work, but it simply doesn't. In Windows, when testing last night, everything worked straight away after installation. All channels were found and were instantly viewable.
>> In MythTV, the card seems to be found and can be selected, but a channel scan provides nothing. 0% signal throughout the entire process.
>>
>> If anyone knows of a quick and simple fix for this HD tuner, please let me know. If not, it's just going in a draw. I don't want to risk breaking a functioning system by doing things that I don't understand.
>
>Not sure why you are having trouble with this tuner, I have a T290 & T292 both working fine with MythTV. The only thing I had to do to get the T292 working was to upgrade to MythTV 0.28 as the driver for the T292 requires the application to understand how to switch between DVBT & DVBT2, the T290 driver doesn’t (didn’t, I think it’s changed in recent kernels).
>
>I’m running Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, important to use the Hardware compatibility kernel releases or Ubuntu 16.04, I’m on Linux version 4.4.0-72-generic which is LTS-Xenial I believe, same as Ubuntu 16.04
>
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
>
>If you are on another distribution you need a similar kernel version, >v3.16 for the T292 drivers I think and MythTV 0.28
>
>Andre

Autoswitching between DVB-T and DVB-T2 (and between DVB-S and DVB-S2)
in the drivers is not the way it is supposed to work.  It was added in
some early drivers because so much software at the time simply did not
have the switching capability.  Now that the software can do it, the
drivers are not being written that way any more.  As of MythTV 0.28,
it is supposed to be able to do the switching, but I have never tried
it myself.