[mythtv-users] Finding gaps in the MythTV recording schedule to do maintenance in

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 14:34:33 UTC 2017

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>> I never actually got as far as doing it, but I was thinking of adding dummy muxes & channels so that I could create a manual recording per tuner card and thus force the scheduler to look for alternative showings of anything scheduled during my planned maintenance window. With the way muxes are, and multi-rec, it's really hard (impossible ?) to force this without some dummy channels.
>
> You can always set one-time "don't record" overrides for the shows scheduled during the period that tell MythTV to skip that showing. It would be a lot easier than creating dummy muxes or otherwise messing with things that affect/could affect the system even when you don't need it.

Except that it's not quite as quick and simple as that, and more work to undo if plans change.

Some of the programs I record are shown several times, some more than once in a day, and then there's the +1 channels. So yes, I could whizz down Mythweb's Upcoming Recordings screen clicking the Don't record buttons - but then it'll come back having rescheduled many of them on the +1 channel. Not to mention those programs that suddenly appear having been rescheduled into the now available times instead of the later showings they had been scheduled for.
If I change my mind, I then have to find all the over-ride rules and delete them.

The biggest objection though is that if there's a program which doesn't have another showing in the listings, it just won't get recorded if I create a "don't record this showing" over-ride rule. That's the whole point - wanting to know if there are any of these which would mean picking another time to do the maintenance.