[mythtv-users] worth upgrading to 0.28?

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:04:39 UTC 2017

It will be fairly subjective depending on your individual use case / usage patterns. After all, there are still some happily running 0.18 and earlier. A couple of the bigger reasons for upgrading at this time (IMO) would be:
- if you are using IPTV streams
- if you use mythmusic a lot, it has got a lot of love in recent times
- you want to use mobile clients (like the android apps)

It is probably worth noting (as I understand it) that fixes/0.27 is essentially unsupported as support I believe is given to head and head minus 1. So if you were setting a new backend up you really should be starting at 0.28. But as you are existing fixes/0.27 then you probably really want to be leaving the upgrade to a nice quiet time to handle issues that may arise from moving from QT4 to QT5, possibly php7 from php5, and any old scripts that assume a particular file extension as a couple of examples. Particularly if you don't have the infrastructure to run both in parallel for a period of time.

Otherwise, (again IMO) both fixes/0.27 and fixes/0.28 are excellent releases so I would expect you to be reasonably happy with either at this time.