[mythtv-users] worth upgrading to 0.28?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Tue Apr 11 11:49:24 UTC 2017

On 04/10/2017 04:32 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I'm currently running MythTV 0.27.6-2 on Fedora 22 and while it has some rough
> edges, mostly due to PulseAudio I think, at least I'm familiar with them.
>
> Now that the NHL Hockey playoffs are coming up I'm wondering if 0.28 on Fedora
> 25 will be worth the effort.
>
> Currently I have a Motorola DCT-700 feeding a Hauppauge PVR-500 and a Motorola
> DCX-3200M feeding Firewire.
>
> I could just upgrade to Fedora 23 and stay with MythTV 0.27 and maybe gain
> some patches to PulseAudio, or go all the way to 0.28 and get some MythTV
> upgrades.
>
> I've read through https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.28 and don't
> see anything that would benefit me for TV recording.
>
> Would the move to 0.28  be of any benefit that I'm not seeing?

I paralleled .27 and .28 for a while to make sure I didn't have issues
before upgrading.  The only thing I noticed was in mythtranscode which I
used in a script job for post processing.  It has been fixed and I'm
very content with .28.

I thought is that most work moving forward will be on .28 and not .27,
so any improvements will not be picked up if I stayed on .27.

There have been some improvements on commercial skips that I noticed
from my frontend.

Once a month I run upgrades to get the latest patches on Ubuntu and
mythtv and that's the only time I have to reboot or even mess with the
backend.  Very stable.

Jim A