[mythtv-users] Storage best practices in 2017

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Apr 3 05:08:57 UTC 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017, 12:10 PM Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/1/17 9:37 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
> > Perhaps the biggest advantage of ZFS are snapshots... Great for some
> > workloads, though perhaps not MythTV.
>

> I think just about any workload can benefit from snapshots.  Imagine
> you're doing an OS and/or MythTV software update.   Snapshots can give
> you an instantaneous restore point to return to in case something goes
> wrong.   Even incremental backups will take time to complete.

Thats really the only reason i could imagine using snapshots with MythTV.
And to me, it just doesnt justify the added complexity.  Perhaps if my
server were running other workloads that would benefit more significantly
from having ZFS i could justify it; it really is a great solution for the
right problem.