[mythtv-users] Duplicate detection

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 22 15:49:41 UTC 2016

On 09/22/2016 10:26 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 01:05:25PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> The easiest generally-good approach for this specific issue--the movie
>> rule--is the title-only dup matching method.  Again, this might be
>> considered if someone went to the trouble of coding it, but no one has yet
>> felt sufficient need to actually do the work.  It won't distinguish between
>> Ben-Hur's 1959, and 2016 releases***, but if you record one and decide you
>> want the other, you could always create a specific Ben Hur rule to catch it.
> I'm definitely not in favor of an an entirely new dupmethod.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be bad to
have a title only dup method.  It would be a very uncommonly-needed
method and would likely cause a lot of confusion when people use it
without understanding it.  And, since it would only really work for
custom/power recording rules (since, by definition, it requires
recording multiple different titles), it probably makes sense just to
add it into the rule itself.

Jan, I don't think I'll have time to play around with creating the SQL
for the rule, but if you do come up with a nice clause for it, please
let us know and we might be able to add it as another example clause in
the custom rule editor.  FWIW, I'll put it on my TODO, but I don't
expect to look,into it for quite some time.

Mike