[mythtv-users] Storage group for holding recordings but not recording them

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:34:18 UTC 2016

> On Sep 21, 2016, at 8:10 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
> On 20/09/16 18:57, jrh wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 20, 2016, at 1:43 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Think I'm not seeing this clearly as I'm away from home dealing with a sick relative but need to do some housekeeping on my mythbox.
>>>
>>> I want to move a handful of recordings to an external USB drive I have attached to my system. I know I need to add the directory to my storage groups, but how do I make the directory available to Watch Recordings but not available to new recordings?
>>>

>> If you want to unplug the external drive and store it elsewhere, and then bring it back at a later date, then the recordings should be exported to video.
>> However, plug n play usb is broken currently in mythtv and there is a ticket for it. something about udisks2 is different than udisks..
>>
>> OT, I would sure like to be able to use the plug n play for USB, but haven’t found the time to fix udisks2 implementation within mythtv.
>>

> It's not that the udisks2 needs fixing, it needs *implementing*.
> We had implemented this using udisks (ie udisks1) interface,
> which almost no distro is shipping anymore. udisks2 is now
> the common interface.
>
> However udisks2 is a completely different API, not a drop in
> replacement. So unfortunately the whole thing needs rewriting.
>
> I'm interested to know, how did people used to use this
> functionality?

I had not used it in the past since I was not having problems then with video storage space.

However, I like the idea of being able to use media off line now as I have started moving television series that have been cancelled, but I still like to offline storage. I just moved 5 series for example(a couple of them from the 90s) on to a 320GB 2.5 inch external usb drive.

I like the idea of what mythadder.py does, keeping a table to the side that mirrors videometadata for removable media and when a given drive UUID is detected, the metadata for video on that drive will be copied to videometadata. Unfortunately it hasn’t been updated since v .24.

I could see this being very handy for offline videos and would like to use it.