[mythtv-users] Completely cable/satellite cutting???

Jim lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:01:04 UTC 2016

On 9/10/2016 10:46 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
> I’m a longtime Mythtv and DirecTV user.  I started using Mythtv with
> HDHomeRun and HVR-2250 to offload my DirecTV 2 channel recording limit
> by recording all OTA local channels on Mythtv and using the DirecTV
> DVR for recording Satellite only channels.
>
> The new DirecTV DVRs now have a 6 channel simultaneous recording
> limit, but I still use Mythtv to record OTA channels because Satellite
> TV goes out anytime a thunderstorm comes up, which is daily in the
> southern USA in the summer.
>
> So my new project is to eliminate all cable and satellite choices from
> my home.  I’m tired of paying ~$80 a month for 200 channels of junk
> and I only got the $80 by threatening to leave DirecTV last year so I
> got a $45 discount each month for 1 year.  That year is almost up.
>
> I only watch about 15 channels, 4 are OTA.  Sports is my problem
> because ESPN, NBC Sports, FS1, NFL, NHL, MLB are traditionally
> cable/satellite only.
>
> In my research, I’ve found Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Apple TV, with
> Roku 3 being my leading candidate for streaming TV over the Internet.
>
> SlingTV is a $20-25-40/month choice depending on how many sports
> channels you want and it works on Roku.
>
> I have Kodi/Mythtv for my OTA DVR choice, but the streaming choices do
> not currently include DVR.
>
> For live sports DVR is not a requirement, but would be nice. My wife’s
> channels would be the issue with no DVR.
>
> With all that said, I’m now trying to figure out the fewest interfaces
> on my TV so my wife and I can view everything.  She can work DirecTV,
> so I think she will be able to work Roku and Kodi.  But it sure would
> be nice to get it to just the Roku.
>
> That means I need to setup/convert Mythtv to be compatible with Roku.
>
> FYI, I thought about making the Kodi media center as my interface
> because mythtv works with it fine, but none of the streaming services
> seem to work with Kodi.
>
> I would think mythtv could be made to to exactly what Tablo OTA DVR
> does. (https://www.tablotv.com/)
>
> Thoughts?

You should take a look at Dish. They have a new "Flex" package that
contains all of the channels my family likes (except for BBC and MTV.)
We switched to it from the Top 200. My bill was $102 and is now $42.
That's with an extra receiver and no local channels. If ESPN is a must
have then there is a $10 add on pack that includes ESPN and ESPN2.
I pickup the local channels with an antenna and an HDHR.
That $42 is the regular price. It's not a promo that's going to expire
after some number of months.

They came up with this package to try keep people from doing just what
you are doing.

--
Jim