[mythtv-users] Mythbackend not starting automatically

Justin Moore justin.nonwork at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 19:22:18 UTC 2016

> I can start mythbackend after startup with systemctl start mythtv-backend
> but it will not start automatically. It appear it is starting before mysql?
>

> This has been recently discussed on a mythtv thread:
>
> Here is the solution I used (it is similar to that in the mythtv thread
> but is slightly easier to setup, no creation of directory and file, it uses
> systemd built-in functionality). This change should continue to work when
> mythtv is updated.
>
> In a terminal on the machine running mythtv backend:
>
> sudo systemctl enable NetworkManager-wait-online.service
> sudo systemctl edit mythtv-backend.service
>
> Then paste the following 2 lines
> [Unit]
> After=NetworkManager-wait-online.service
>
> Then exit from the edit screen (it uses nano by default, so Ctrl+x, then
> y, then Return key)
>
> Now reboot the system (sudo reboot)

FWIW I tried this on my Fedora 23 backend and it didn't work. My
understanding is that NetworkManager just waits for *any* non-local network
interface to become available, not *all* of them. So if you're using a
Ceton InfiniTV and its virtual network interface, systemd will happily note
that you've got *a* working network interface and continue to start
everything that depends on an external network before the actual external
network is up and running.

-jdm