[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR 500 PCI express

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:50:49 UTC 2016

On 2016-09-14 04:06 PM, Rajil Saraswat wrote:

> Nice article. I am guessing that the driver is part of the kernel and
> only the firmware needs to be downloaded. The Hauppauge website mentions
> the following comes with the card: "an A/V breakout cable for the
> primary A/V input, an auxiliary A/V panel and cable to add a second set
> of audio/video inputs". Does it mean i get two composite inputs out of
> the box and dont have to buy a second daughter card?
> I remember having to buy a daughter card like the following for WinTV
> 500, http://www.erodov.com/forums/attachments/dsc01140.jpg-11628d1301980816
>
> Does the FM radio work on this card?

I haven't used the FM radio on my HVR-2250 so unfortunately I cannot
confirm if it works.

>> Please note that the Hauppauge HVR-2255/2205 is a newer card and has
>> some some extra configuration steps listed on the Hauppauge site [2] to
>> configure it to work with GNU/Linux.
>>
>> [2] http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html#tabs-2
>>

> Are these new models supported in MythTV?

The newer HVR-2255 *should* work in MythTV.  Note that the instructions
on the Hauppauge site involve recompiling the kernel for Mythbuntu
14.04.  Hence using the HVR-2255/2205 will not be as easy as the older
HVR-2250.

I think only the HVR-2255/2205 is available for sale new.  I do not have
any personal experience with this card.

Curtis