[mythtv-users] Unable to connect to database.

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Sep 13 09:40:32 UTC 2016

On 13/09/16 06:04, Forum wrote:
> Am 12.09.2016 um 23:31 schrieb Mark Perkins:
>> On 13 September 2016 5:07:38 AM ACST, Forum <forum-da at padaba.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after upgrading complete System, I've installed MythTV 0.27.0 on Linux
>>> Mint. Bevore upgrading, I've had 0.26 installed.
>>>
>>> To restore Database, I've changed to path
>>>          cd /usr/share/mythtv
>>> and then I've tried to restore database:
>>>          ./mythconverg_restore.pl --directory
>>> /var/lib/mythtv/db_backups  --verbose --drop_database --create_database
>>>
>>> But I've received an error:
>>>
>>> Unable to connect to database.
>>>             database: mythconverg
>>>             host: localhost
>>>             username: mythtv
>>>             password: xxxxxxxx
>>>
>>> I've tried to reconfigure:
>>>      sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
>>>

>>> But this does also not work.
>>>
>>> Now, it seems that I'm facing the problem that I'm not able to connect
>>> to database.
>>>
>> First check that mysql is running.
>>
>> Then login to mysql from command line using:
>> mysql -u**myth_user_id** -p**myth_password**
>>
>> Assuming your frontend and backend are on the same, local, system.
>>
>> If cant login from command line will need to know what the error is. Possibly your mythtv user
>> password is different on this install compared to last install.
> How can I check if mysql is running?
>
> If I try to login to mysql from command line, I get an Error:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

That message comes from mysql so it implies that it is running.

To check that mysql is running, try: ps -a | grep mysql

If you get more than a line back with the ps process itself in it (which will iclude the command
used to run it) then mysql should be running.

It looks like your re-installation changed the passwords in the mysql database. This is quite
common. You'll need to find out what the new one is. I /think/ that the new password is put into
/etc/mythtv/config.txt, but as I don't use Mint it may do something else.

--

Mike Perkins