[mythtv-users] Comcast Equipment Update

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 13:30:24 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> Comcast sent me a letter yesterday indicating that if I don't replace my
> set-top boxes by Oct. 31, I might start losing channels.

What box do you currently have?

Some points (in no particular order):

* In Comcast markets, except for the premiums, an OCUR
  tuner is almost always the preferred solution for recording
  content.  It works with the minimum of hassles.

* Local offices may (or may not) have any particular box
  available to hand out.  They may try to satisfy your
  request for a particular model (if they have it in the
  back room), but they will not (and can not) get any
  particular model.

* The Comcast site talking about STB installation
  includes boxes that are in the field, not just the boxes
  they are currently handing out (see item above).
  There are some models on their pages that once
  are returned to the local offices are removed from
  circulation with prejudice.

* the RNG150 boxes are actually manufactured by
  (I believe) three different companies, and almost
  certainly have different idiosyncrasies regarding
  firewire.  I would plan to move to IR blasting
  regardless.

* As I recall, the RNG110 also has component out.