[mythtv-users] Annoying shutdown problem

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Sep 6 02:02:20 UTC 2016

On Mon, Sep 5, 2016, 6:16 PM David Cunningham <ml at upsilon.org.uk> wrote:

> On 05/09/16 16:42, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > If Stretch is using systemd, then you may have the same problem
> > someone I was helping had happen to them in Mythbuntu 16.04.  Systemd
> > replaces all the power and shutdown commands with links to systemctl.
> > So in Mythbuntu 16.04, for example, /sbin/poweroff is a link to
> > /bin/systemctl.  And for some reason, those links did not work
> > properly from MythTV, although they work fine from a command line. But
> > when the links were replaced with the correct systemctl command in the
> > MythTV settings, they worked properly.  So replacing the "poweroff"
> > command or whatever you are using in your lirc config with what it
> > aliases to, "systemctl poweroff", may work.
> >
> Actually shutting down via the exit + shutdown option when quitting the
> frontend works correctly when configured as you describe, though still
> the irexec command called via lirc fails as described when configured
> the same way...

Just taking a shot in the dark here, but try putting an ampersand (&) at
the end of the command?

Perhaps it's irexec itself that's preventing the shutdown because it's
waiting for the shutdown command to complete?  Putting an ampersand in
would cause the shutdown to happen in the background and irexec would be
free to shutdown cleanly.