[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: ATSC Tuners & ATSC Encoders

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Sep 2 21:57:10 UTC 2016

> The only problem I see is for US users, I'm not sure how common it is to
> find DVB-T/H.264 compatible TV's here, I have never looked; it may be
> standard now.  Worst case, you pick up a $50 tuner for each TV.

In the United States, TVs that can decode DVB-T are non-existent.
There's a dearth of demodulators which support both 8VSB/ClearQAM as
well as DVB-T standards, and hence there would be a tangible cost to
support both in the same device (not to mention patents, royalties,
etc).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs