[mythtv-users] MYSQL problems on upgrade to ubuntu 16.04

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 21:19:28 UTC 2016

On Sun, Aug 28, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Jack McGee <jack at greendesk.net> wrote:

> I decided to take the plunge, and upgraded  backend to 16.04.
>

> sudo do-release-upgrade
>
> is the command I used.
>
> I don't believe MYSQL server is running:

This is interesting...  I just did an upgrade from 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS
last weekend.  Luckily, mythtv was working fine, but I had major issues
with Kodi.  I have Kodi dumping the information into a central MySQL
database so I can sync it across multiple frontends.  On one TV, it was
working fine.  On another, it would hang when Kodi started.

I stood up another virtual machine with just MySQL and Kodi was working
fine.  Today I backed up all of the mythtv databases with the
mythconverg_backup and mythconverg_restore commands.  Then I blew away all
the mysql database stuff with apt-get remove and then purged it all.  I
then reinstalled mysql and then created the myth user and db, then restored
the db.

It was surprisingly simple and worked great.  Since I've had the new mysql
up, I haven't had any issues with Kodi or myth.

I don't know what happened to MySQL during the Ubuntu install, but it
definitely screwed something up.  I know the Kodi stuff is a bit OT, but
hope to warn others of issues with the upgrade too.