[mythtv-users] MythTV qtwebkit dependency

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 13:53:07 UTC 2016

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 6:43 AM, david brooke <david2012brooke at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 30/10/16 00:54, Tom Dexter wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>>

>>> OMG...That qtwebkit compile is punitive. Granted...I'm running on
>>> fairly old hardware, but I can compile MythTV in around an hour and a
>>> half. The qtwebkit (the last depedency I have left to compile) has
>>> been going for over five hours, and I had to stop mythfrontend as I
>>> barely have enough RAM. This is awful. I don't recall it being even
>>> close to this with Qt4.
>>>
>>> Tom
>>

>> Yeah I know until recently I was an avid Gentoo user and wouldn't touch
>> any other distro but the time and effort to keep all the systems I look
>> after running became to much. Now use Mythbuntu and an update takes a few
>> minutes at the most rather than a few hours sometimes in Gentoo.
>>
>> The long compile times are the result of the choice of your distro not a
>> fault with MythTV so it's unfair to punish users of other distros IMHO!
>>
>> Paul H.
>>

> I'm a Gentoo user and the compile times are no issue. I either mainly
> compile in the background while watching a video or during the night. So
> basically my admin time is just slightly more than a binary distro but with
> greater flexibility / control.

For the most part the same is true for me even with older hardware.
The qtwebkit5 compile took almost six hours but finally finished. One
step of it required enough RAM that I ended up stopping mythfrontend
to free some up. I'm actually compiling mythtv 0.28 now. I still
wouldn't trade gentoo for anything especially for MythTV. I'm running
it now with no dbus, udisks, or other bloat I don't want. I can tell
you for sure, there's no way I'm moving off Gentoo if it means using
systemd.

I actually agree that it would be a mistake to abandon those plugins
in order to drop the requirement for qtwebkit (though I'm not clear
what will be done given that it's deprecated). I actually never
suggested that at all...it was just indicated here that some devs are
leaning that way. It would be nice however to have a configure option
to skip qtwebkit, assuming of course you don't plan on installing any
of those plugins.

Question on that: As 0.28 stands right now, will mythtv itself
actually compile without qtwebkit installed (assuming the configure
script allowed that)...or are the qtwebkit headers expected to be
there regardless?

Thanks!
Tom