[mythtv-users] MythTV qtwebkit dependency

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 23:54:11 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Paul Harrison <mythtv at sky.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah MythBrowser uses it. Also if you removed it MythNews, MythNetVision and
>> MythMusic would be affected since they all use MythBrowser.
>>
>> They've gone a little quite about it but some of my fellow devs want to
>> remove the plugins algether so you will probably get your way at some point.
>> I don't see the tiny amount of disk space required for the webkit stuff to
>> be a big problem when you consider the multi GB space required for
>> recordings.
>>
>> You could make it optional and only allow those plugins to be configured if
>> QtWebkit is available but then you run into problems with future development
>> not knowing if you can use the browser widget or not.
>>
>> Personally I'd be sad to see it. If you remove the one or two remaining
>> differences between Kodi and MythFrontend, the web browser and
>> MythZoneMinder etc then what's the incentive to continue developing the
>> frontend? Might as well just kill it off :(
>>

>> Paul H.
>>

> The disk space isn't the issue as much as the compile times. I'm using
> Gentoo and the qtwebkit from what I recall takes longer to compile
> than MythTV, and that happens with any Qt updates as well. Since I
> really do want to upgrade, I've bit the bullet and started compiling
> all the dependencies including that one, so I'll be ready to compile
> MythTV 0.28 later.
>
> Thanks for the replies!
> Tom

OMG...That qtwebkit compile is punitive. Granted...I'm running on
fairly old hardware, but I can compile MythTV in around an hour and a
half. The qtwebkit (the last depedency I have left to compile) has
been going for over five hours, and I had to stop mythfrontend as I
barely have enough RAM. This is awful. I don't recall it being even
close to this with Qt4.

Tom