[mythtv-users] Disable Mythical Bookmark

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 05:47:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 2:57 AM, Mike Holden
<mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> Running late I can understand, but why would they start 5-10 minutes early?
> Anyone who wants to watch and tunes in to see it already underway, will
> probably switch over to another channel instead. I just don't get it. This
> will surely lose them viewers rather than gain some?

Think of it slightly differently.  Let us say you are watching
a show on the channel.  It ends.  You decided to "surf"
the other channels and see all you get is the end of other
shows (which you have not seen the start of).  So you go
back to the original channel to at least see all of the the
next show (even if it may not be a show you are excited
about watching).

All of these start/end early/late are attempts to keep you
on "their" channel, and tends to be a legacy of people
actually watching in real time (aka "Live TV").  With the
uptake of DVRs, and people watching on their schedule
rather than the broadcasters, what actually matters is
accurate guide data so your DVR can record what you
intend to eventually view (there is a edge case where
some individuals or some providers DVRs were under
provisioned in terms of tuners, so shows running
over/under could impact the ability to record concurrent
shows).

Some guide providers in some countries apparently do
a better job than others.  It sounds like in Australia the
guide providers data is less than optimal.  In my
experience the guide providers in the US tend to get
start/end times (mostly) right.