[mythtv-users] Memory needs

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Oct 18 10:49:25 UTC 2016

On 18/10/16 10:32, Tim Draper wrote:

>  ---- On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 05:22:02 +0100 Mike Carron <jmcarron at gmx.com> wrote ----
>  >            Is there a limit to the amount of         memory a headless myth backend can effectively use?       Memory is cheap enough that installing 16 or 32GB of RAM is not       prohibitive as long as it is useful to have that much.
>  >      Thanks,
>  >      mike
>  >
> fwiw, my BE is on a general-use home server (console/terminal only fedora23) so runs  a torrent client, file share, myth BE,  zoneminder, and owncloud. i seem to be runnning 6gb ram (i assume 4gb & 2gb modules) and consumption after 70days uptime is 23%. 4 FE's where only 1 typically gets used at any one time.
> based on my loading, even 8gb would be a waste.
>
> that said, if i were using it as a VM host for a home lab, ram would be goood!

Yeah, it mainly depends on "what else" you want to put on it.

I have 8Gb ram on my backend, and it's running both a production
instance (0.28-fixes) and a development instance (master) and
still have ~6Gb free memory.

Most of the memory ends up being used by the buffer cache.

Regards
Stuart Auchterlonie
MythTV Developer