[mythtv-users] Backend machine seems to crash every few days

stinga stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com
Tue Oct 11 10:23:44 UTC 2016

On 09/10/16 02:06, Damian Surr wrote:
> Just got back, but it's 2am so I'm not about to start digging logs
> out. The keyboard, mouse and screen meant that I could shutdown
> properly rather than just holding the power button for 10 seconds.
>
> Everything seemed responsive apart from the network connection being
> down. My VPN was disconnected, so was Dropbox and SpiderOak. And the
> shared network drives on the server were not accessible from my
> Windows machine.
>
> Is there a way of getting to the bottom of this now that I've
> rebooted, or do I need to wait until it happens again?
>
> I had already closed htop and iotop (if they are the right names ..
> it's late!), so don't know if they would have been useful.

So it looks like the issue is network related. What follows is a ramble
on things to look at.

It could be physical or ip address related if using dhcp etc.

If you are using dhcp to get an ip address can you try giving it a
static ip address, that would remove that part.

If physical network then it could be dodgy cables, bad port on the
switch etc.

You are not using wifi are you?
Try rebooting the network switch next time it happens.

Also check the backend to see if it has a network address and you
stop/start the network.

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+mythtv at wolf-rock.com  o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\