[mythtv-users] Deleting Recordings

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 5 15:10:42 UTC 2016

Jay Foster <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I do not want recordings to be affected due to I/O or CPU constraints that might arise while recording multiple programs.  I also have the slow delete feature enabled.

I'm still on 0.24.1 but I doubt it's changed. From observation, it only deletes one file at a time, and especially with slow-deletes on, it spreads the I/O thin enough that it will only be a problem if you are **REALLY** marginal on I/O performance.
Also IME, while playback may be affected (short pauses) due to I/O bottlenecks, recordings aren't affected unless it's really really bad. The recording process uses a circular buffer (per recording) that's (IIRC) long enough for a few seconds of typical recording streams. Add to this the OS will cache writes which further buffers recordings from temporary I/O restrictions.