[mythtv-users] Deleting Recordings

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Wed Oct 5 15:00:48 UTC 2016

On 10/5/2016 7:53 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 05/10/16 15:17, Jay Foster wrote:
>> I'm running 0.27.6 and have a question about how MythTV deletes
>> recordings.
>>
>> I configured MythTV to not delete recordings for 1 day after I select
>> delete.  As I understand this
>> functionality, MythTV moves the deleted recording into the Deleted
>> Recordings group for the
>> specified time (1 day = 24 hours), and then schedules it for actual
>> deletion.  My question is, does
>> MythTV take into account other activities when the 'time to delete'
>> arrives, such as other
>> recordings taking place, before performing the delete?  I would like
>> MythTV to not start a deletion
>> when it is otherwise busy recording. I do not want recordings to be
>> affected due to I/O or CPU
>> constraints that might arise while recording multiple programs. I
>> also have the slow delete feature
>> enabled.
>>
> Unless your backend is very severely constrained by processor power or
> disk i/o then I doubt that any background activity like deleting is
> going to even be noticed[1].
>
> I can watch a recording in progress while at least one other recording
> is happening and there is no effect either on viewing or the recording
> quality. I can schedule things and delete old recordings while new
> recordings are ongoing and that makes no difference either. Of course,
> YMMV.
>
> [1] Unless you are doing bulk deletes of, say, 1,000 or more
> recordings because your disk died; in which case you probably
> shouldn't be recording something at the same time anyway.

The reason I bring it up is that my system will be recording five shows
at once while I am watching something else previously recorded when the
previous nights 'delete' kicks in.  I would not want that delete to
affect the five recordings or the playback.  Just wanting to know if
MythTV was clever enough to just schedule the delete to after the
simultaneous recordings, when the system is more idle.

Jay