[mythtv-users] momentary audio drop when screensaver deactivated

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Nov 30 13:13:33 UTC 2016

On 11/30/2016 04:24 AM, Mark Perkins wrote:
> Just a quick follow up on this one. I tested with the xscreensaver-command
> script higher up in the PATH with a generic 'exit 0' but saw no change in
> behaviour. I eventually added a little bit of logging to the script to
> really verify that my script was getting called and it was, it just didn't
> appreciably change anything.
>
> So I then amended the script to exit non zero (I think I chose 'exit 5' for
> want of a better number). And this does appear to have completely solved the
> problem (or I guess more accurately, at least masked it).
>
> But that just left me more confused. So if an empty bash script with exit 0
> still triggers the issue, but an empty bash script with exit 5 does not,
> where does that mean the likely problem is likely to be?

Any non-zero exit code will result in mythfrontend thinking xscreensaver
is not installed on your system; therefore mythfrontend won't call
"xscreensaver-command -deactivate" during playback.  This is exactly
what I said in my earlier response in answer to your question of
disabling screensaver deactivation, and why you no longer have issues
during playback:

>>> Can I permanently disable the screensaver so mythfrontend doesn't
>>> need to
>>> worry about it?
>> Yes.  If you turn off xscreensaver (and it must be really turned
>> off--such that "xscreensaver-command --version" returns a non-zero
>> exit code) when mythfrontend is started, mythfrontend won't send the
>> --deactivate messages.

Mike