[mythtv-users] xfsrestore backup woes

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 04:50:19 UTC 2016

On 11/28/16 10:24 PM, Mike Hodson wrote:
> You can do a very similar, and (if I'm right, logically the exact same
> thing) if your XFS filesystem resides on LVM, if you have (in this
> example, more than 2GB) free space in the LVM volume group to create the
> snapshot COW space.
>
> lvm lvcreate --size 2g --snapshot --name
> /dev/volumegroup/backupthis_snapshot yourvg/your_root # creates point in
> time snapshot
> xfsdump [options] /dev/volumegroup/backupthis_snapshot
> lvm lvremove -f yourvg/backupthis_snapshot  # removes the snapshot, and
> merges all changes back into the live fs.

Good idea.  I'll look into this if I ever migrate over to LVM.   Though
as I dig deeper into the issue, I remembered that I keep a rolling
window of backups up to 2 months ago.  Even my 2-month old level-0
backup was missing /etc/mythtv/config.xml.   This makes me think that
there was something other than being in-use preventing it from being
backed up.

Just out of curiosity, what's the timestamp on your
/etc/mythtv/config.xml file?   I assume it isn't being written to.  And
if so, then I question whether an LVM snapshot would allow it to be
backed up.

Thanks
-WD