[mythtv-users] Warning: Do not install nvidia-304.132 package

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 21:30:52 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

Just wanted to share the warning that installing the latest
nvidia-304.132 drivers on Ubuntu may have unwanted consequences.

I have an Ubuntu 14.04 system on an ION system.  It's set up to get
security updates, plus mythtv updates.  After installing the
nvidia-304.132 package, TV playback would peg the CPU at around 200% and
it would be super choppy.

I didn't feel like restoring a full system backup, so I just downgraded
nvidia using:

sudo apt-get autoremove nvidia*
sudo apt-get install nvidia-304=304.117-0ubuntu1

I think that nvidia-304.131 would have also fixed it, but I couldn't
seem to find the specific package name for that (or how to get it, other
than searching for and manually downloading the dpkg files).

Related:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/974456/f24-permission-problems-/?offset=3

-WD