[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi 3 / MythTV Light Package - super subtle jerky motion

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Sun Nov 27 20:02:53 UTC 2016

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016, at 02:00 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 11/26/2016 07:30 PM, Kris B. wrote:
> > This doesn't happen a lot, but there is a super subtle jerkiness
> > sometimes on camera sweeps/pans if there is a lot of things going on
> > when watching mpeg2 video.
>
> This has been reported see ticket
> https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12907
>
> I don't know if there is much we can do about it.

Oh thank goodness, Peter.  I thought I was going crazy.  My wife
certainly thought so.  I kept tell her, you see it, right?  She keeps
looking at me like I have three heads.  Going from VDPAU to OpenMax, I
think I was just a bit more sensitive to noticing it.  If I turn off
deinterlacing, there is no problem - except interlacing artifacts... The
motion is more fluid, but then you see the tell tale lines of
interlacing on the movement.  I played around with all the
deinterlacers, and Advanced worked best... It is usually crane/dolly
shots where it is noticeable, but it even happens on DVD/SD video, and I
really don't see much in the logs saying it is starved for video, so I
think it is what it is.

Exacerbating it is that I am running a 60 inch TV and we aren't super
far away from it, so I just have to see if it will irk me enough to move
on or not - I hope not - otherwise the Raspberry is the perfect solution
for a frontend with your packages - it took no effort to set up (for
anyone who has dabbled in MythTV before) and the HDMI-CEC made things so
much simpler.

I have an Nvidia Ion sitting in a box here that I bought that I could
open, but my goal is to return it and just use the Pi.  I will watch for
a few days and see what happens - I noticed this morning that I didn't
really notice it that much on the programs we were watching today (the
news, etc. all on 1080i stations).

Thanks again for letting me know I wasn't crazy.  I searched the
gossmer-threads for anybody else experiencing it but never thought to
check the bug tickets.