[mythtv-users] upgrading from mythbuntu 14.04/0.27 to 0.28 vs. mythbuntu 16.04 install

Mark Cooke mpc_myth at jts.homeip.net
Sat Nov 26 23:50:52 UTC 2016

Hi Jim,

I did a 0.24 to 0.28 recently as a database backup, fresh install to new
hardware, and a final restore.

My storage configuration didn't change so the NFS mounts on the backend
servers were identical.

The basic process I followed was the backend migration from
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration and it worked pretty well,
so my thanks to everyone that helped put that together.

Things that caught me but were very minor:

- Channel ID numbers changed on the new system (TBS6205) as compared to
the old (Hauppauge dual SD tuner, and a Nova HD USB tuner), so
recordings made via the Nova appeared as #1234# instead of using the
channel name.  This I fixed by editing the database and updating the old
tags to match the new channel IDs and this was mostly a case of changing
2xxx to 1xxx.

- Existing cutlists were lost.  I didn't manage to resolve this, but it
was not important.[*]

So for me, it was relatively painless.  The Mac 0.28 frontend seems to
be a bit more glitchy on video playback and quite annoying in sports
programmes, but I think that's 0.28 stressing out my 2011 mac mini's
capabilities more than 0.24 did.

Hope that helps, and Good Luck!

Mark

[*] For anyone that does care - the cutlists appear to still be there,
but going into the recording starts from the very beginning, and trying
to edit brings up a blank cut list editor.  I think this is related to
the direct database editing I did for the channel number issue that goes
something out of step in the database.