[mythtv-users] RF remote recommendation

Mark Covington markcov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:38:11 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 6:45 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Checkout out Universal Remote (http://www.universalremote.com/)
>
> I have an old MX-810 with a MRC-260 (it has 4 discrete IR output and a
> broadcast bit).
> The MX-810 can use both IR or RF (418MHz). There's a zigbee version too.
>
> Imported from the US. While discontinued, you can find 2nd hand one on
> Amazon for around US $80, The MRF260 from US$25 (also used)
>
> Fairly steady, after years of ownership, it's identical to when I
> first got it. In comparison, most of the buttons on my logitech
> purchased around the same time have complately faded or the paint worn
> off.
>
> Fairly easy to setup, though you have to use windows.

I've got an older MX-850 from Universal Remote and I love it.  Had to
check, its 12 years old now! Still going strong, there's something rattling
inside after my wife dropped it on the floor.  I'd probably recommend
against it now as its discontinued, it requires a serial port, and the
software is intentionally hard to find as the company intended it to only
be available to installers.  If it ever does break, I'll look at the
Logitech Harmony ones, but I find their web interface is too "wizardy" and
prevents me from configuring it *exactly* how I want every menu and submenu
to appear.

One minor issue about universal learning remotes, you have to pick a set of
codes from some other remote first to load into the remote.  Then you have
to train Myth to recognize those codes.  Keep track of what you used to
populate your remote the first time in case you lose your remote resets
itself.

mark

--
Mark Covington