[mythtv-users] mythtranscode just deleted my file

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 00:36:52 UTC 2016

On 21 November 2016 at 11:03, George Bingham <georgeb1962 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the bug is that mythtranscode is not backing up the file itself
> before operating on it, but if your script does the backing up (and I use a
> hard link, haven't tried it with a soft link) then mythtranscode will
> restore it using the link at the end.

not quite.

it doesn't work directly on the original file, it only reads it. The
work is done in a file with the extension .tmp

Once the job is complete, the new file replace the old one.

> Not a developer here, so I don't really know, but when I first discovered
> this when I moved to 0.28 a while ago, I started working around it by making
> a copy to a tmp file, when someone on this list suggested I link it instead.
> I tested it out and it works, so that's what I do now.

If you're working in the same file system hard link is okay. But not
everyone has /tmp on the same partition as your recording directory.