[mythtv-users] Concert footage and video artifacts

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 17:33:08 UTC 2016

On Nov 17, 2016 4:24 PM, "Jay Foster" <jayf0ster at roadrunner.com> wrote:

> On 11/17/2016 12:40 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>>
>> This isn't a pressing issue, but more a "just curious, learn something
everyday" type of thing.

>> Sometimes when watching a music awards show or concert footage, the
picture can go crazy if there's a quick change of lighting or fast strobing
effects. Suddenly the picture goes from the crystal clear bronze glow of
the Zildjian cymbals and chrome on the drum set to a blocky visual worthy
of an 8-pixel video game emulator.

>> Is that how it's coming from the source? Is it a temporary deinterlacing
issue caused by elves? Will the right video card prevent it?

>> Curious minds want to know. :-)
>>

> That is compression artifacts.  Usually due to insufficient bandwidth to
encode the video.  This is typically introduced by the local broadcaster,
most of which choose quantity (i.e., more subchannels) over quality (i.e.,
a higher bit rate).

> Jay

Oddly I usually see it on the Grammys, on an OTA channel with zero
subchannels.