[mythtv-users] Frontend hardware: VDPAU or VAAPI?

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 14:14:52 UTC 2016

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 7:44 AM, Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> wrote:
>
> On 11/11/16 22:16, Steve Greene wrote:
>> It sounds like time is on our side with VAAPI. Has anyone used the
>> NUC5CPYH as a frontend? It will be replacing an ION that is now showing
>> its age with 0.28, similar to Brian's experience.
>>

> I've used the i3 based nuc without issues.
>
> Regards
> Stuart

There is an alternative if you are wanting to use the VDPAU drivers.

The AMD APUs now support VDPAU with standard kernel drivers.
I am using a foxconn nettop with an AMD 1.6ghz dual core from a few years ago, and I have an AMD A4 ‘quadcore’ laptop that is also using VDPAU.
Support in 16.04 is out of the box for AMD VDPAU.