[mythtv-users] Stutter playback 720 60fps

Kevin Johnson iitywygms at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 20:59:55 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:25 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>
wrote:

> [...]
>> <mailto:cats22 at comcast.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 11/14/2016 12:25 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>>     > On 11/12/2016 04:11 PM, Kevin Johnson wrote:
>>     >
>>     >> This may only be happening on channels that are 720p and h.264
>> encoding.
>>     >> Maybe it is just me, but when it does happen, it seems like livetv
>>     >> starts faster than normal.  Meaning that when I start livetv, it
>> is up
>>     >> and going in like one second.  When it does not happen, live tv
>> takes
>>     >> 2-3 seconds to start.
>>     >> And, when it is happening, (the stutter) the progress bar shows
>> about a
>>     >> 2 second delay.  When it starts without stuttering, the progress
>> bar
>>     >> shows about a 5 second delay.
>>     >> So I think this is all about livetv starting to fast.
>>     >> Is there anything I can do to delay the live tv start time?  (Add
>> some
>>     >> sort of buffer)
>>

> Thank you for the help.
>>
>> I changed the backend setting from always to none.  Did not change
>> anything.  Still stutters.
>>
>> So i then went  and watched some live tv with the stutter.  Went to the
>> live tv recodings, watched the same exact show.
>> The recording under the Live Tv group played without issue.
>>
>> One interesting thing I did see.
>> There were two of the same recordings.  Same time and title of the live
>> tv show I just watched.
>> One was yellow and played back fine.
>> The other was blue, and when I tried to play that one, I got a message
>> saying that it could not be played, recording empty.
>>
>> I was able to repeat the above scenario several times.
>>
>> Strange.
>>
>> Just so its clear.  This only happens on LiveTv.  720P at 60fps,
>>

> Another question: Is the problem channel on a different tuner than the
> non-stuttering channels?
> You noted that tuning seemed really fast when you got a stuttering
> channel, That's what prompted my reply about the tuning setting.
>
> But if the recorded 'LiveTV' video plays fine there has to be something
> else going on. NOT the tuner.
>
> If it is not the tuner (check with same tuner and input against 720i or
> 1080i channels if possible) then that leaves how the video is being
> processed. If you are using VDPAU Normal, then try VDPAU Slim etc. (TV ->
> Settings -> Playback iirc, but I always have to hunt).
>
> It just may be that recording the video stream *AND* processing it for
> display is a bottleneck. The bottleneck could be almost anywhere in the
> chain, including a slow hard drive (some hard drive or partition almost
> full ->  'df -h' ) or slow processing.
>
> I had a problem a few weeks ago with audio stuttering, which turned out to
> be a mis-setting to a software display process instead of VDPAU in the
> video display section... THe video had the same stutter, but it still took

I have tried all the tuners.  (HDHR PRIME)  Does not matter which tuner I
use.

I dont think its a hardware issue since I never see this issue while using
Kodi for playback.
This happens on two different frontends using different hardware.  Albeit
they do both use nvidia.  But I have tried slim, as well as vappi and other
configurations.  Nothing changes the result.
I would point at the backend or hardware if this occurred on Kodi.  But it
does not.
I usually find solutions by searching and searching.  But it seems I am the
only one with this issue.
Pressing pause for a split second clears everything up.  So I can live with
it. It just bums me that .27 worked awesome, but since the upgrade to .28
its been a bug chasing extravaganza.

Its probably not possible, but can I use .27 frontend with a .28 backend?
Most likely not but it would be good for testing.