[mythtv-users] Stutter playback 720 60fps

Kevin Johnson iitywygms at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:37:34 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11/14/2016 12:25 PM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > On 11/12/2016 04:11 PM, Kevin Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> This may only be happening on channels that are 720p and h.264 encoding.
> >> Maybe it is just me, but when it does happen, it seems like livetv
> >> starts faster than normal.  Meaning that when I start livetv, it is up
> >> and going in like one second.  When it does not happen, live tv takes
> >> 2-3 seconds to start.
> >> And, when it is happening, (the stutter) the progress bar shows about a
> >> 2 second delay.  When it starts without stuttering, the progress bar
> >> shows about a 5 second delay.
> >> So I think this is all about livetv starting to fast.
> >> Is there anything I can do to delay the live tv start time?  (Add some
> >> sort of buffer)
> >> Anything?????
> >

> > Fast tuning?  On the Input Connection page of mythtv-setup there is an
> > entry for Live tv fast tuning:  Always | Never. Try flipping that to
> > the other position and see what happens.
> >
> > Geoff
> >

> Good point. Actually it has values for "Always", "Live TV Only",
> "Never". I suggest set it to "Never". I use "never".
>
> Another thing - if you start live TV and get the stuttering, can you
> exit from Live TV and go to the recording list, press Menu and "Change
> Group Filter" select "LiveTV" then find a recording with very recent
> time that corresponded with the stuttering and watch it again, see if
> you still see the stuttering. This will help find out if it is the
> backend or frontend causing the problem.
>
> Thank you for the help.

I changed the backend setting from always to none.  Did not change
anything.  Still stutters.

So i then went  and watched some live tv with the stutter.  Went to the
live tv recodings, watched the same exact show.
The recording under the Live Tv group played without issue.

One interesting thing I did see.
There were two of the same recordings.  Same time and title of the live tv
show I just watched.
One was yellow and played back fine.
The other was blue, and when I tried to play that one, I got a message
saying that it could not be played, recording empty.

I was able to repeat the above scenario several times.

Strange.

Just so its clear.  This only happens on LiveTv.  720P at 60fps,