[mythtv-users] Resetting mysql password for mythtv user

Simon Waldman lists at firecloud.org.uk
Sun Nov 13 13:24:53 UTC 2016

Hi list,

I recently reinstalled my MythTV machine (it was easier, with my limited
knowledge, than fixing everything that was broken from a number of upgrades
over the years).

Foolishly, I forgot to write down the database password before I did this -
so the new Mythbuntu installation has put a new password in config.xml, and
hence when I restored my old db the password was incorrect.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:MySQL has instructions for resetting
the db password. However, I think this is out of date - because the "user"
table in my new install doesn't have a "password" field. I've also noticed
that somehow my db has two users called "mythtv", which doesn't sound like
a good thing:

mysql> select User from user;
+------------------+
| User             |
+------------------+
| mythtv           |
| debian-sys-maint |
| mysql.sys        |
| mythtv           |
| root             |
+------------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

So, two questions - and sorry if these are more MySQL questions than MythTV
ones:

1. Should I remove one of these users? If so, how? And how to tell which
one?

2. How can I reset the password for the user that is left?

Thanks for any help
SImon.

--
Simon Waldman