[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 16.04.1 (0.28) Frontend not visible

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 10 12:26:29 UTC 2016

On 11/10/2016 12:01 AM, Andrew Potter wrote:

> OK I had Mythbuntu 14.04 and wanted to upgrade to Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS.
>
> I downloaded the 16.04.1 ISO and installed on a fresh SSD drive.
> Keeping the old disk as this is a production system.
>
> After the installation I restored the old Database (14.04 database)
> tot he new system. I can see in the logs that the database was
> upgraded and the settings all look to be correct via myth-setup.
>
> But the local frontend does not get to the display screens. I have to
> hot alt-f4 and I get the this window is busy dialog do you wan t to
> stop it.
>
> I have looked at the front end logs but cannot see anything
>
> The last log I see is about successfully reading the airplay rsa key.
>
> The logs are available here http://pastebin.com/KvnVSX4w
>
> I am thinking it is possibly a QT issue, ie not rendering a display
> correctly, but I do not know enough to diagnose. Of course I could
> also be well off the mark.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

You're killing mythfrontend in the middle of the MythMusic database
schema upgrade (specifically--at least in the logs provided--during the
backup it's making before the upgrade).  If you let it run farther in
any previous runs, it may have gotten into the middle of the upgrade, at
which killing mythfrontend may have done bad things.  Remember that the
backend/mythtv-setup upgrades the TV schema.  All plugin schemas are
upgraded by the plugins themselves, which run inside the frontend.

In other words, you need to look at more than the last line in the
log--2 lines before it said what was happening.

Nov 10 08:48:46 Master-Backend mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[6935]: E
CoreContext dbutil.cpp:604 (DoBackup) Backing up database with script:
'/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_backup.pl'

So, you just need a bit more patience when upgrading versions, because
backing up the database takes quite a bit of time, even if the upgrades
go quickly (and they don't always).  (And, yes, ideally mythfrontend
would tell you what's happening, but until someone completely
redesigns/refactors/rewrites our database upgrade code, we don't have
access to the (new) UI at the time when we're doing the upgrade, so we
can't put up any messages.)

Mike