[mythtv-users] HD Home Run Prime HDHR3-CC keeps re-booting, can't access cable card - solved

Mythtv - SIlicondust mythtv at silicondust.com
Wed Nov 9 00:32:45 UTC 2016

> Nick here from Silicondust...
>
> Confirming, we found and fixed a bug in the firmware a few years ago
> relating to DNS handling.
> For HDHomeRun PRIME units it affects units running 20130117 or older
> firmware.
> For HDHomeRun DUAL units it affects units running 20141124 or older
> firmware.
>
> The easiest fix is to unplug the WAN port of your home router so the old
> HDHomeRun firmware is happy, then upgrade it to the latest firmware
> (20161107b for PRIME and 20161107 for DUAL).
> The direct firmware download links can be found on our website under
> Downloads, Linux.
>
> We are beefing up our server infrastructure... we now use CloudFlare for
> the first level. Behind that we have caching servers in four locations for
> speed, redundancy, and backend failover selection. Finally we have the
> backend servers, with most services being served by redundant servers.
> Linux and scripted builds all the way through. I had fun setting that up :-)
>
> Nick
>
> I'm curious.  Why would an HDHomeRun need to do DNS?  I have three
> HDHomeRun tuners connected to my backend on a dedicated network which has
> no DNS service at all and they work just fine.  The backend connects to the
> HDHomeRun, not the other way around.
> Jay

Hi Jay,

HDHomeRun tuners are quite happy operating with MythTV without DNS/internet.

If DNS+Internet is available the HDHomeRun will sync with our guide servers
every now and again. If you use the HDHomeRun app for Windows, Mac,
Android, or XBox One, or if you use Kodi and the HDHomeRun add-on on any
supported platform you get 4 hours of TV guide from Silicondust (or 2 weeks
if you are testing our DVR system). The sync allows our guide servers to
automatically match your TV channels to the guide and returns an auth token
so apps can use the guide. No usage information is passed (we don't care
what you watch, just that the guide is right without you having to manually
match channels). The sync also enables channel logos for DLNA and sets the
time in the HDHomeRun.

Nick