[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu dropping to login prompt instead of frontend auto login after nvidia upgrade

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:33:37 UTC 2016

Hoi John,

> On 08/11/16 19:31, Ian Evans wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net
>> <mailto:cats22 at comcast.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 11/08/2016 01:49 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>     > I don't use ubuntu but checked in VM I have and 304.117-0ubuntu1 is
>>     > shown. (sudo apt-cache showpkg nvidia-304)
>>     Hika
>>     Did you do sudo apt-get update first? You may be seeing old information.
>>     I only see the 132 version. It looks like to me that the 131 version has
>>     been removed.
>>
>>     Ian Evans
>>     An interim solution could be install the nouveau driver. You will have
>>     to change playback profile to Normal or Slim.
>>     In command line mode you can run this to list available drivers
>>     sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
>>     You should see the noveau driver listed as one alternative
>>     (xserver-xorg-video-nouveau)
>>     Install the nouveau driver with
>>     sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
>>

>> Thanks Peter. I'll leave it alone for a few days as it's working now
>> with VDPAU slim and .132 and I don't want to jinx the system with all my
>> election coverage recording. :-)
>>
>> Hopefully there's a .133 soon and I can go back to VDPAU High Quality.

> I had trouble with nvidia304.132 on fedora23 and eventually dropped back
> to nouveau.  This week another family machine with the same video card
> running kubuntu16.04 wouldn't log in to a working desktop;  I think
> 304.132 had been installed for several days before this showed up, but
> that seems fine now with nouveau. I don't think I had ever put  a
> working myth installation on it.  Going back to 304.131 didn't appear as
> an option.

> The original problem on the 'buntu box wasn't as traumatic as it had
> been in fedora: I was able to use the xubuntu desktop which I had
> installed earlier when kubuntu beta had troubles, but in f23 I only had
> kde/plasma and was forced to use tty2 during recovery.

> John P

Can't the Ubuntu repositories be adapted to replace 304.132 with
304.131 again or at least give people an option. In Gentoo 304.132 is
still in testing and if I hear all this will probably never reach
stable state. Also an older version will stay much longer then a few
days.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven