[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Nov 7 12:33:02 UTC 2016

> On 7 Nov. 2016, at 8:00 pm, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> Saw this referenced elsewhere.  I am a bit
>> surprised it has not yet been posted on the
>> mythtv-users list, and while I have never
>> used the mythbuntu distribution (I follow
>> the ways of the hatted), I think many should
>> thank Thomas and the others for their hard
>> work over the years.  Details follow:
>>
>>     Mythbuntu: So Long and Thanks for All the Fish
>>
>>     https://sites.google.com/a/mythbuntu.org/website/home/news/
>> mythbuntusolongandthanksforallthefish
>>

> And a big thanks for all the teams work from me! I used Mythbuntu as the
> os/distribution for years.
>
> In more recent years, I've been installing Xbuntu, then then installing
> Mythbuntu on top. If I'm reading correctly, that's still going to be
> maintained. Is that right?
>
> Either way, thanks again for the work. Other than a few headaches, you've
> saved me from hours/days/weeks of MythTV pain that I suffered before
> Mythbuntu came along :-)

Mythbuntu was ordinary, not magic, except they discovered a few magic things like delaying instantiation and boot of the cards until the pre-requisits have passed ie network start and mysql start before mythtv. I’ve struggled lots and lots to have mythtv start at boot time. Is there a documented list of what they did or is reverse engineering the only way?

James