[mythtv-users] pixalated live tv images

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Fri Nov 4 02:27:33 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 2:18 PM,  <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org> wrote:
> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 11:17:56 -0700
> From: Kevin Johnson <iitywygms at gmail.com>
> To: pbennett at mythtv.org, Discussion about MythTV
>         <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] pixalated live tv images
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11/03/2016 11:36 AM, Kevin Calvert wrote:
>>
>> If it helps at all, attached is the xorg.conf I use so you can see if
>> anything is involved there.
>>
>> Also, to reaffirm, these two images previously mentioned also show what
>> I'm experiencing...
>>
>> http://s193.photobucket.com/user/dabears_rule/media/IMG_
>> 20161031_163247.jpg.html
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e_fa78-6tGLWFqYkFvVG9SMTQ/view
>>
>> With the patch applied the first image still is an issue. But I just have
>> not yet really watched enough to see if the second issue appears as well.
>>
>> I'll do that tonight when I get home from work.
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM Kevin Johnson <iitywygms at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/02/2016 03:55 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>> Some videos to help explain.
>> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e_fa78-6tGVTNjVjNmQUNjaG8/view?usp=
>> sharing
>>  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e_fa78-6tGLUpTOVo0WGZTQWc/view?usp=
>> sharing
>>

>> From the videos it looks like it must be related to the On Screen Display.
>> I cannot understand why it is limited to Live TV. I am unable to recreate
>> it. I have the cheap NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] video card.
>>
>> The code does allow for different OSD display methods - VDPAU, softblend,
>> OpenGL, but for some reason only VDPAU is enabled when you use VDPAU for
>> video rendering. I could try enabling the others when VDPAU is enabled. I
>> do not know if that would work. Does anybody
>>
>> If this has started recently I suspect it may be caused by this change:
>>
>> * 5b011ca : Fix Seg fault in OSD due to notification being displayed using
>> a painter that is no longer valid.
>>
>> Please can somebody who sees this problem apply the attached patch and let
>> me know if it resolves this.
>>

>> Im not educated enough to correctly apply a patch, unless I have step by
>> step instructions.
>> Willing to try tho.
>>
>> I just wanted to add that the osd showing through the live tv image is new
>> for me since upgrading to .28
>> But, the osd image appearing behind the on screen channel guide is not.  I
>> remember seeing that in .27 before the update.  It never really caused a
>> issue for me so I just ignored it.
>>

>> Kevin Calbert (above) tried the patch and it did not solve the problem. I
>> was not very hopeful that it would solve it.
>>
>> I have nvidia with VDPAU on several systems. I have tried and cannot
>> recreate this on any of them. I have tested Live TV playback on a 720p
> [...]

I am also experiencing this issue, and I'm happy to help if I can
(though I get my MythTV from mythbuntu packages rather than building
myself). I also use VDPAU, myth 0.28 but I'm still on Mythbuntu 14.04.
In limited testing, I also notice the problem on LiveTV occasionally
but have not yet seen it on recorded TV.

Josh