[mythtv-users] pixalated live tv images

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 18:00:12 UTC 2016

On 11/03/2016 11:36 AM, Kevin Calvert wrote:
> If it helps at all, attached is the xorg.conf I use so you can see if
> anything is involved there.
>
> Also, to reaffirm, these two images previously mentioned also show
> what I'm experiencing...
>
> http://s193.photobucket.com/user/dabears_rule/media/IMG_20161031_163247.jpg.html
> https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e_fa78-6tGLWFqYkFvVG9SMTQ/view
>
> With the patch applied the first image still is an issue. But I just
> have not yet really watched enough to see if the second issue appears
> as well.
>
> I'll do that tonight when I get home from work.
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 11:03 AM Kevin Johnson <iitywygms at gmail.com
> <mailto:iitywygms at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net
>     <mailto:cats22 at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>         On 11/02/2016 03:55 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>>
>>>         Some videos to help explain.
>>>         https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e_fa78-6tGVTNjVjNmQUNjaG8/view?usp=sharing
>>>          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e_fa78-6tGLUpTOVo0WGZTQWc/view?usp=sharing
>>>

>>         From the videos it looks like it must be related to the On
>>         Screen Display. I cannot understand why it is limited to Live
>>         TV. I am unable to recreate it. I have the cheap NVIDIA
>>         Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] video card.
>>
>>         The code does allow for different OSD display methods -
>>         VDPAU, softblend, OpenGL, but for some reason only VDPAU is
>>         enabled when you use VDPAU for video rendering. I could try
>>         enabling the others when VDPAU is enabled. I do not know if
>>         that would work. Does anybody
>
>         If this has started recently I suspect it may be caused by
>         this change:
>
>         * 5b011ca : Fix Seg fault in OSD due to notification being
>         displayed using a painter that is no longer valid.
>
>         Please can somebody who sees this problem apply the attached
>         patch and let me know if it resolves this.
>

>     Im not educated enough to correctly apply a patch, unless I have
>     step by step instructions.
>     Willing to try tho.
>
>     I just wanted to add that the osd showing through the live tv
>     image is new for me since upgrading to .28
>     But, the osd image appearing behind the on screen channel guide is
>     not.  I remember seeing that in .27 before the update.  It never
>     really caused a issue for me so I just ignored it.

Kevin Calbert (above) tried the patch and it did not solve the problem.
I was not very hopeful that it would solve it.

I have nvidia with VDPAU on several systems. I have tried and cannot
recreate this on any of them. I have tested Live TV playback on a 720p
channel, including the OSD and the guide when invoked from playback.

I think there may be some issue with VDPAU on certain video cards.

Can you check your version of nvidia driver. I am using version 340.96.
Use dpkg --list|grep nvidia to find your version.

The video card I have is
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce
210] (rev a2)
Use lspci to check this.

Peter