[mythtv-users] Background video coming through on Live TV Playback

Kevin Calvert kevin at eleventhree.com
Thu Nov 3 10:54:06 UTC 2016

As the title says, I'm getting background/residual video coming through in
a pixelated way in my mythfrontend during live tv playback. Also, a
partially sticky an pixelated background (tv channel logo from the pop up
when you change to a new channel) comes through when looking at the guide
to flip through channels en masse.

I'm on an always up to date version (currently v0.28-76-g7f8f168) from the
fixes/0.28 branch and all my frontend boxes (4... this gt 730 box and then
3 other gt 520m boxes) run on an always up to date version of xubuntu
16.04.1 lts.. I always update the backend (separate system) as well.

I've ruled the video card out as being an issue (originally a GT 520 but
just upgraded to a GT 730) but thought for sure that was it prior as I've
have this system for about 5 years now and thought it was just maybe
wearing out/heat finally got to it.

The live tv is powered by 2 SiliconDust HD Prime 3x devices. I tried doing
a full reboot of all myth's and the silcon's as well, but with no change.

No other external hardware (tv, receiver) has changed for 2+ years and no
internal has changed ever outside of the video card mentioned above, and
this was never an issue before.

Any ideas?

When I get some time later I'm going to run the hdmi directly to the tv as
right now, it goes through the receiver then to the tv, to rule the
receiver out. I also ordered some new hdmi cables as well. Also I need to
experiment more with recording the live tv where I see the issue and see if
the issue still persists when watching the recorded version. I don't think
the issue is anywhere but live tv but I haven't been watching much else so
it's possible that it could be happening in more places.

But I think that exhausts all my hardware fixes.

I was sure this couldn't have been a software issue but now I'm not so
sure. I haven't seen this on any other frontend I have but this is also my
main tv so none of my other frontends are watched nearly enough as this.
But this occurs very frequently enough on this specific problem frontend
that I would've seen it somewhere else.

Again, if anyone has any other ideas, specifically to any software issues
(mythconverg db settings, local frontend settings, etc) that might be worth
looking into, ideas would be appreciated.

If I rule out the receiver and hdmi cables, I'm finally going to blow the
frontend away and provision it again, but all my frontends are running
clean builds anyway so there's really nothing else on the box besides the
xubuntu install and mythtv dependencies.