[mythtv-users] installation difficulties using Unbuntu 16.04

Mike Bibbings mike.bibbings at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 18:16:18 UTC 2016

On 02/11/16 15:54, David Williams wrote:
> There’s something here, what it is ain’t exactly clear …
>
> I’m a long term Mythtv user but far from a Linux maven. Ubuntu is my
> distro of choice. I’m not having any success installing Mythtv using
> either 16.04 or 16.10 although using Ubuntu 14.04.5 it installs just
> fine so I thought I’d ask for advice.
>
> Apt-cache policy mythtv doesn’t show a problem. However, when I
> attempt to install mythtv I receive the following message:
>
> |Building dependency tree |
> |Reading state information... Done|
> |Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have|
> |requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable|
> |distribution that some required packages have not yet been created|
> |or been moved out of Incoming.|
> |The following information may help to resolve the situation:|
>
> |The following packages have unmet dependencies:|
> |||mythtv : Depends: mythtv-frontend but it is not going to be installed|
> |E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.|
>
> To cut to the chase I repeatedly receive a message that transcode is a
> dependency but as has been explained in another recent thread
> transcode is no longer used. An effort to install transcode yields the
> following result:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package transcode is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
>
> E: Package 'transcode' has no installation candidate
>
> Eagerly awaiting help.
>
> Dave

I am pretty sure that Ubuntu 16.04 repo is out of date. You need to add
mythbuntu team 0.28 ppa to get the latest version of 0.28/Fixes (the
original 0.28 is quite old now and there have been a lot of improvements
since it was released). You can also add it on Ubuntu 16.10, although I
suggest using 16.04 LTS

A good starting point is

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Ubuntu

i.e.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/0.28 sudo apt-get update You may
need to do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade as well Mike