[mythtv-users] Sound configuration

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Nov 1 16:08:17 UTC 2016

> I just got an old 5.1 amp with speakers that I would like to use with my
> main frontend.
>
> The amp has optical and analog sound input. I have a Nvidia card in my
> system, connected to the tv over hdmi (video and audio).
>
> I would like to use the 5.1 system only for watching dvds.
>
> Is it possible to have two different sound setups on the same frontend ?
>
> 1 with sound over hdmi for live tv and recordings, the other one over
> analog audio for dvds (no optical out on the mainboard, only 5.1 analog
> audio).

Does your TV have any sound output?  I have a cheap (black friday special)
that has an optical audio out... I connect that to my amp, it passes
through the 5.1 audio coming from HDMI.  In my case it will even pass DTS
audio, which the TV cant process, but the amp will.

Otherwise, something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=10251 or
this
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00BIQER0E?th=1
may be your easiest solution.  It sends the unmodified HDMI signal to your
TV, while allowing you several different ways to send audio to your amp.

Or, a bit cheaper if your TV has ARC support:
https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B011AJG6Y8?th=1

I'm sure something can be done with ALSA asound files, but I hate messing
with them!