[mythtv-users] Sound configuration

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Tue Nov 1 03:29:54 UTC 2016

On 10/31/16 02:28 PM, Yann Lehmann wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just got an old 5.1 amp with speakers that I would like to use with my main
> frontend.
>
> The amp has optical and analog sound input. I have a Nvidia card in my system,
> connected to the tv over hdmi (video and audio).
>
> I would like to use the 5.1 system only for watching dvds.
>
> Is it possible to have two different sound setups on the same frontend ?
>
> 1 with sound over hdmi for live tv and recordings, the other one over analog
> audio for dvds (no optical out on the mainboard, only 5.1 analog audio).

  Not sure, but I have a slightly more complicated setup - 2 different TVs (via
hdmi splitter) off the same front end.  One is 1080P + 5.1, the other 720p with
just stereo.

  I set up 2 different profiles for the frontend, made up a simple script that
calls nvidia-settings to switch the resolution and update a file to say what
profile to use.  This is driven by the global key events in the frontend.

  I have a script that runs the frontend in a loop, so the above script kills
the frontend and updates a file which says which profile to use, and that loop
script then re-launches the fronted.  The loop script is handy just in case the
frontend process dies for some other reason - in that case, it launches it with
the same profile.

  (I also added some logic to handle running Kodi from the frontend - in that
case, the frontend exits but the loop script just restart it until kodi exits).

  If there is interest, I can share these scripts.