[mythtv-users] Pi3 Playback problems with 1080i MPEG2?

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Mon May 30 14:35:30 UTC 2016

On 05/29/2016 09:58 PM, Tom Harris wrote:
> I just set up a new Pi3 frontend on Raspbian Lenny + Peter’s .deb
> package for 0.27.
> After some tweaking of various settings in raspbian and mythfrontend,
> it is working well.
>
> The one issue is that playback of 1080i content has problems.  It
> misses frames, pauses, and is generally not watchable.  720p video is
> fine.
>
> I verified a few things in debugging it:  content streams are fine,
> bandwidth to frontend is fine, settings are correct (as far as I can
> tell).   I played back the same videos just fine via Kodi’s mythtv
> add-on on my Pi2 as well as the Apple TV mythfrontend.
>
> ‘-v playback’ confirms openmax is enabled.   But, there is an error,
> which I’m not sure if it’s normal or a real problem: “E  AFD: Unknown
> decoding error"
>
> Has anyone else run into this?   Any more settings I should check?

Check your playback profile. You should have "Openmax normal" selected.
Also edit the profile and check that the decoder and renderer are both
set to openmax. Set the number of processors to 4.

Do you have the latest version? There was a bug with dropping frames
that has been fixed. "Unknown decoding error" is one message that
occurred with that bug.

What type of content is this? Is it MPEG2 or H264? Is it recordings or
videos? Is it only one particular recording?

Are you using an on screen display (e.g. Subtitles or Info)?

If you still have problems let us know your version (mythfrontend
--version).

Peter